Notices
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Maintenance tool keep getting Errors when deleting Packages

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by FXB78 View Post
    This is another example of dumbing down in the community where people need an addon to perform the most basic of tasks for them, it's the same with Backup/Restore, it's a two minute job to copy a few folders over but nobody knows how to do it anymore because they rely on addons & youtube videos whilst not having the first idea about how Kodi actually works. Use File Manager, delete any cache files/folders which are clogging up space & it's job done. Takes about 30 seconds.
    To play Devils Advocate, using a 'File Manager' program to accomplish the task is really no different than using an add-on, both are 'dumbed' down GUI interfaces for core command line functions... Now if your are doing it by command line, bravo (I'll bet many 'experienced' people here couldn't do that) and even though I know full well how to do that (albeit a bit rusty and it might take a few tries), I (like many others) really like GUI programs and add-ons not because it dumbs me down, but because it's easier and simpler to click-click and be done...

There is always some point when the user friendly meets being practical, after all a vast majority of this community fully depends on the work of others, for their viewing needs vs learning how to write their own add-ons, right? I design electronics for a living and with that comes a lot of programming of micros nowadays... I know 'assembly' (albeit not as well I would like) and I can tell you up front and blunt, I'll choose to program in a higher level language like C or dare I say BASIC any day of the week over assembly if the task allows... Not because it dumbs me down, but because it streamlines the process...

I guess the point is the 'right' way is mostly opinion in the end, instead people should do what they are comfortable with now but always consider learning the 'hard way' if they choose to educate themselves further...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meep View Post
    using a 'File Manager' program to accomplish the task is really no different than using an add-on.
    In this instance it is, because using a File Manager actually works and accomplishes the task, whereas the addon does not.

Thanks
    I went to C:\Users\[USER NAME]\AppData\Roaming\Kodi and found where to delete the crash logs . thanks for everyone for helping me.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by FXB78 View Post
    In this instance it is, because using a File Manager actually works and accomplishes the task, whereas the addon does not.
    I fully beg to differ, you are trying to turn this into a false dilemma when it's not a two option choice... The maintenance tool(s) that I use the ones suggested in this very thread a few post back (as well as several others) do in fact do their job as designed and accomplish the task that was requested by the original poster, to suggest otherwise is a fib...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meep View Post
    I fully beg to differ, you are trying to turn this into a false dilemma when it's not a two option choice... The maintenance tool(s) that I use the ones suggested in this very thread a few post back (as well as several others) do in fact do their job as designed and accomplish the task that was requested by the original poster, to suggest otherwise is a fib...
    Here it is a 2 option choice !!

The ones you suggested earlier are not supported here !
    This forum doesn't support kodi builds/repositorys or their addons !

Anyway deleting packages on every reboot is kind of a pointless exercise to save a couple of MB. Addons also check for updates on each reboot which get downloaded first to the packages folder before being extracted, your addon could conflict with this and could delete zip files of addons which are updating.

If you have a large local media database then deleting Thumbnails and their databases can be a pain too as kodi then has to download all this information and metadata again & it can take along time.

We don't know what, and how other users use kodi. If they are using it as intended then they will more than likely have large local databases...
    I personally think that TVA got it right by not putting the "delete thumbnails" option in their maintenance tool, it's not a option that should be taken lightly.

On another note I just checked delete packages on the TVA maintenance tool and it worked, maybe windows users need to run in administrator mode ?

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by invisable; 01-18-2017 at 05:18 AM. Reason: Spelling

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123